Last modified: 2002-08-30 by
Keywords: sudomerice |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
1 184 inhabitants. The village was established between 1260 and 1271 possibly by a laird Sudomír near old "spy route". In the past there used to be a village of Čertoryje near today´s railway in the direction to Petrov, on the way to the Morava river there can be seen remnants of old water-fortress. This location is known for findings of primeval graves and arms. The village has an agricultural and vine-growing tradition first of all. The old seal of Sudoměřice from 1640 bears a symbol of shield with ploughshare and vine fleshing knife.
Several traditional farm-houses, so called Danubian earthen houses with traditional white caster and blue socle came down in the village. A manor from the 18th century can be seen at the village green as well as a campanile from the same period. A functionalist church of Christ the King was built between 1930 and 1933. Between 1942 and 1943 a set of so called "German houses" was built for German financial customs officers. Former harbour where coal used to be transloaded from railway to ships is to be found at Ba»a´s Canal.
Jarig Bakker, 28 Aug 2002