This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Spálov (Czech Republic)

Nový Jicín okres, Moravosilesian Region

Last modified: 2023-07-03 by
Keywords: spalov | yew |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors

This page is best viewed with ISO:8859-2, aka Latin2, aka Central European fonts See also:

Spálov municipality flag

[Spálov flag] by Jarig Bakker, 20 Oct 2002

From Petr Exner's VexLex1997: Spalov, Novy Jicin, Moravosilesian region in Czechia. Flag adopted 27 Jan 1997. The tree is a yew. CoA at this website. 915 inhabitants. The territory of Spálovsko was first mentioned indirectly in a Latin Deed of Donation  of 1169. The Deed mentioned Hranice and territory of the Hranice domain reaching from the Žabník stream (to the West from Drahotuše) to the Odra stream. The Deed is, however, forged. Its age is probably by half a century less. Therefore, the Deed reflects the situation somewhere at the beginning of the 13th century. At the end of the 14th century Spálov was a part of the Manor of Potštát. About 1560 a parish school was opened there. On 8 November 1620 during the White Mountain battle near Prague, Kristina from Rogy participated in the battle on side of the estates and Colonel Johan Gottfried Breiner, owner of the Spálov farmhouse participated on the winning side - on side of the Emperor. The Chateau of Spálov (being a fortress in those days), curch and the village itself were sacked by Polish troops moving to help the Emperor´s army. On a map drawn in 1627 by J.A. Komenský, Spálov (Span) was marked as a parish church with a fortress (chateau). In 1650 a half of the Manor of Spálov passed over to the Nunnery called "Nebeská brána" (Heavens Gate) in Vienna. One of first brick farmsteads in Spálov was built in 1790. Until then, all farmsteads were wooden. In 1948 there were only four wooden farmsteads in Spálov. In 1827 a new school was built in the centre of the village. Later on, the school was used as Municipal house and a shed was used as a jail. Afterwards, a public library was opened in that building. After construction of another storey and after repair the building has been used as a health centre. On 21 November 1832 Spálov was advanced to market-town and was granted a right to organise two annual markets and a cattle market. In 1869 an imperial and royal post office was established and opened. At the beginning of the 20th century Spálov started attempting to buy land for construction of a German school. On 28 October 1918 the independent Czechoslovak Republic was declared and Spálov had to fight against efforts of Germans living in the surrounding to include the Spálov region to the Sudetenland - Altvaterland. The end of the 20s and beginning of the 30s were importance in development of the village. At those days, a private bus company started transporting people on the route Spálov - Jindřichov - Hranice. Then a steam saw mill Ladislav Demel a spol. was built and construction of settlement with houses for workers was started in Tomanovsko. On 10 October 1938 Spálov was occupied by Nazis, separated from Moravia and connected to the Sudetenland.
Jarig Bakker, 20 Oct 2002

Spálov CoA

[Spálov coat of arms]  image from this website, reported by Jarig Bakker, 20 Oct 2002
  Red dog casino