Last modified: 2002-05-18 by
Keywords: dolni benesov | pike | dace |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
Number of inhabitants by 31.12. 2000: 4396. The village of Dolní Benešov was founded before 1300 by knights of Benešovic. In the 14th century the village flourished much and in 1493 the village became market town based on Charter issued by King Vladislav II. The town was given its municipal shield, green-wax sealing right, brewing right and right to organise fairs and markets. The shield of Dolní Benešov shows a pike eating a dace on the red background. The shield has linkage to then rich ponds situated near by Dolní Benešov. Tradition of ponds is still visible. By 1 February 1996 Dolní Benešov was re- awarded statute of town by Decree issued by Parliament.
Source: this website.
Jarig Bakker, 14 May 2002