Last modified: 2001-09-06 by
Keywords: hradec nm |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
This is almost a canting flag since Hradec means "castle", right?
Zeljko Heimer, 30 Jun 2000
Željko is right - Hradec meant Castle in Old Czech language. Hradec nad Moravicí has a population of 5.064. In the first half of 11th Century Premyslides built their important Castle in the middle part of the hill over Moravice River as a Border fortress, cultural and administrative centre of Opava Region. In the Middle of 13th.Cent. the old Castle rebuild by King Premysl Otakar II, after his death the Court of Queen - widow Kunhuta. In that Era began also the History of the Township
October 3., 1481 Prince Viktorin, son of the king George of Podebrady, awarded Hradec Merits in the war against troops of Hungarian King Mattheas Corvinus and granted to it Coat of Arms, Town Privileges and Market rights. Since 1585 the manor in hands of Nobility. During Thirty-Years-War Hradec was held alternately by Protestants and Emperor Forces. 1626-1627 during Danish occupation false coin minted. Hardly damaged Hradec got its Town Rights again in 1701.
1778 - 1945 manor and castle were held by Princess Lichnowski von Woschütz (original name of that Germanised Family was Lichnovský z Voštic. ). 1938 - 45 in Sudetenland, German Reich.
The municipality (official name since 1968 - Hradec nad Moravicí) was made a Town again in 1971.
Note: Interesting history has Coat of Arms of (Duchy of) Opava as seen in Great Coat of Arms of Czechoslovakia and (as Herzogtum Troppau) in Liechtenstein Coat of Arms. Duke Mikuláš of Opava was an illegitimate son of King Premysl Otakar II and of Agnes von Kuenring (Arms of Kuenringer are also part of Liechtenstein Arms). Mikuláš and his branch of dynasty bore per pale Gules and Argent and as Crest two horns in the shields colours, charged with bannerets. Duchy were made of part of Moravian territory but it became part and finally centre of (Austrian) Silesia. Also Hradec nad Moravicí Arms are reflecting the Ducal Arms.
Ales Krizan, 27 Aug 2001