Last modified: 2002-05-10 by
Keywords: moravska op |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
It's an amalagamation of two parts of the city of Ostrava: the northwestern suburbs of Moravska Ostrava and Privoz - a rare instance of flag and CoA complementing each other. The CoA is from the city's website, The proportions at the top of the flag should be 19:1:4; the width of the wave 2/24. The flag and CoA were adopted 29 Oct 1996.
Source: Mesto Ostrava - Znaky a prapory (Jan Tejkal ed.), REPRONIS, Ostrava, 1997.
Aleš Křižan, 19 Dec 2000
This is the CoA of Borough (Mestskě obvod Moravská Ostrava a Prívoz). It is an integral part of the City of Ostrava. The City Arms were previously granted for Moravská Ostrava, which was also the origial name of this agglomeration. Since 1947 the City is called Ostrava. The wavy bar instead grass differs the CoA of the Borough from the CoA of the City. The former Privoz (in German Oderfurt) had its own CoA too. It represented "Railway wheel" and the Boat with oar on the water. That´s probably thereason for the wavy bar. "Privoz" is Czech for "Ferry" - so it were (Czech) canting Arms.
Aleš Křižan, 10 Jan 2001