Last modified: 2001-09-28 by
Keywords: prelouc |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
The town of Prelouc is situated in eastern Polabi. It is a part of the district Pardubice, situated nearly in the middle of the east Bohemian region. Prelouc lies on the shore of Labe, the height over sea is 220 m. Prelouc has 9,800 inhabitants and its area is 30.5 km2. Prelouc is one of the oldest historically documented places of our region. Just in 1086 it has been documented as a part of a Benedictian cloister possessive foundation. On the request of the abbot of this cloister, the king Premysl Otakar II gave to the community the town-privilege in September 8th 1261. It seemed, that from this time Prelouc was using the black fire grate in a golden field as its emblem, as attribute of St. Vavrinec, the patron of this cloister. The same emblem is also on the sealing stick of the town, documented however later, in the mid 16th century. In 1580, the emperor Rudolf II advanced the town to a king's cammeral town. Owing to its advantageous position at the railway Praha - Olomouc, Prelouc became a very important economic centre in the second half of the 19th century and until 1960 it had the statute of a district town.
Source: this webpage.
Jarig Bakker, 23 Sep 2001