mostbet
This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Turnov city, Czech Republic

Semily okres, Liberec region

Last modified: 2002-07-05 by
Keywords: turnov |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors




This page is best viewed with ISO:8859-2, aka Latin2, aka Central European fonts See also:

Turnov city flag

[Turnov city flag] by Blas Delgado Ortiz, 15 May 2001, after image at this site.

The town was founded in the mid-13th century by Jaroslav and Havel of the Markvartice family on a headland above the Jizera river. Subsequently, the town was owned by the eminent Czech aristocratic families of Vartenberk and Smiřičtí.
Turnov often suffered from incursions from foreign troops. Lusatian Knights of the Cross burned it down in 1468 and Swedes in 1643. A great fire also threatened it in 1707.
In spite of all calamities, crafts developed quickly there. The first glassworks for the production of "baked glass composites", i.e. artificial precious stones made of glass, were set up as early as in the 17th century. In the 16th century, various cutting workshops had already existed, adapting and cutting precious stones either local or imported. Trading in these precious stones flourished especially in the 18th and 19th centuries, when they were exported worldwide. The tradition of the production of jewels continues at Turnov. A local school of applied arts was already established in 1884 as the first of its kind in Europe,
focuses on the treatment of stone and metals and the production of jewels.
At present, Turnov is the tourist centre of the northern part of the Bohemian Paradise and the ideal starting point for trips throughout the areas of Hrubá Skála, Malá Skála and Klokočské skály. The town is also the seat of the administration of the Protected Landscape Area of the Bohemian Paradise.
Blas Delgado Ortiz, 15 May 2001


Turnov city flag -reverse

[Turnov flag - reverse] by Blas Delgado Ortiz, 15 May 2001

Some interesting fact about Czech municipal Flags - there are also flags with different reverse side there, just like in former USSR. It was in Turnow town, where red field on the backside of flag on City Hall has no picture at all. It has only white and red vertical stripes.
Aleš Křížan, 29 Jun 2002


Turnov city CoA

[Turnov city CoA] image from this website, reported by Jarig Bakker, 21 June, 2000

Mostbet