Last modified: 2002-08-17 by
Keywords: uhersky ostroh |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
The town of Uherský Ostroh is situated in the area of the Morava River valley, on a former island, about 10 km south of Uherské Hradiště. The original name of the town - Stanice - is associated with the past of the town, because the town was founded near the trade route as a place of rest for traders. In the l5th century the name "Ostrov" (=island) was common which gradually changed to Ostroh and in the middle of the l9th century the name "Uherský" was added to Ostroh. Built at the beginning of the lóth century, the castle dominates the town at the side of the old fortification, the beginnings of which date back to the l3th century. The town of Ostroh became centre of markets and craftsmanship. At present, the town has 4,500 inhabitants. The important road no. 1/55 Přerov -Břeclav leads through the town and the railway Brno - Trenčanská Teplá, to the border on Slovakia. The brewery is an important plant in the town and its beginnings can be traced back to 1592. The Moravian-Slovakian traditions survive in the town with the brass orchestra "Ostrožanka" and the dancing ensemble "Ostrožan".
Source: this website.
Jarig Bakker, 12 Aug 2002