Last modified: 2004-12-29 by
Keywords: landkreis freyung-grafenau | freyung-grafenau county | grafenau | coat of arms (bear: black) | coat of arms (bear: rampant) | coat of arms (wolf: red) | coat of arms (wolf: rampant) | coat of arms: base (lozengy: w |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Coat-of-arms adopted 9th March 1976, flag adopted 9th August 1977
Red-white stripes, adopted 09.08.1977. The county is situated in the hilly regions between the Danube and the Czech border; its seat is Freyung. Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Linder and Olzog 1996.
Stefan Schwoon, 26 September 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The arms were granted on March 9, 1976.
Most of the area around Wolfstein belonged since the 13th century to the State of Passau and became part of Bavaria in 1806. The wolf in the left part of the arms is canting and is at the same time taken from the arms of Passau. The bear is taken as a symbol for the Bärnstein territory (Bär = bear). This territory, formerly part of the Grafenau district, became part of Bavaria in 1438. The point shows the lozenges of the arms of Bavaria.
Literature: Linder and Olzog 1996.
Santiago Dotor, 4 December 2003Mostbet