Last modified: 2003-12-05 by
Keywords: bavaria | bayern | kempten | stadt kempten |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
Description in Stadler 1964-1971: In the 15th centuries the banner showed the double-headed eagle [the imperial eagle since Kempten was an imperial city]; in the 19th century the flag was black and gold, since 1887 it is black and white.
Stefan Schwoon, 8 March 2001
Editor's note: read the explanation about Stadler 1964-1971 in introduction to German civic flags.
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
Kempten was an Imperial city in medieval times and thus entitled to use the imperial eagle in its arms and seals. (...) Later sources indicate that the shield was horizontally divided from silver and blue. (...) In 1488 Emperor Friedrich III granted the city new arms, a vertically divided shield gold and black, with the imperial eagle in the opposite colours. (...) In 1818 the city was combined with the Imperial Abbey of Kempten and the new arms showed the imperial eagle from the city arms, and a tower taken from the arms of the Abbey.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1971.
Santiago Dotor, 1 February 2002Mostbet