Last modified: 2004-12-29 by
Keywords: landkreis eichstätt | eichstätt county | coat of arms: tierced per pale (eagle: black) | coat of arms: tierced per pale (crozier: white) | coat of arms: tierced per pale (deer: head) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Flag and coat-of-arms adopted 11th March 1966, abolished 30th June 1972
White-red-yellow, adopted 11.03.1966. The county was enlarged by parts of Ingolstadt county and was integrated into Oberbayern district during the 1972 municipal reform. Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964-1972.
Stefan Schwoon, 20 August 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The old arms were granted on March 11, 1966.
The county belonged until 1305 for the largest part to the Counts of Hirschberg. The deer's head is taken as a symbol for these Counts (Hirch, deer). The crosier symbolises the bishops of Eichstätt, the successors of the Counts of Hirschberg. The area belonged to the bishops until 1803 when it became part of Bayern. In 1817 King Max Joseph of Bavaria created the principality of Leuchtenburg and gave it to his son in law, Eugen Beauharnais, nephew of Napoleon of France. The principality, to which the county belonged, existed until 1852. The eagle is derived from the eagle of Napoleon and his dynasty.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1972.
Santiago Dotor, 23 July 2003Mostbet