Last modified: 2004-02-14 by
Keywords: landkreis lindau | lindau county | square (white) | coat of arms: per pale (hand: white) | coat of arms: per pale (flag: gonfanon) | coat of arms: per pale (gonfanon: red) | coat of arms: base (bars: wavy) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Coat-of-arms adopted 28th November 1956, flag adopted 22nd January 1958, abolished 30th June 1972
White-red with the arms at the 'head', adopted 22.01.1958. In 1973, the [previously county-free] city of Lindau was integrated into the surrounding county and the arms of the county were changed. The sinister half of the arms shows the arms of the counts of Montfort which is also used by the Austrian state of Vorarlberg Lindau county shares a border with Vorarlberg. Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964-1972.
Stefan Schwoon, 24 August 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The old arms were granted on November 28, 1956. The hand (...) was the symbol of the imperial convent of Lindau, which owned many estates in the Western part of the county. The banner [actually a Kirchenfahne or gonfanon] (...) is taken from the arms of the Counts of Montfort, who also held many parts of the county. The waves in the base of the arms are a symbol for the Bodensee [Constance] lake, on which the county borders.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1972.
Santiago Dotor, 31 July 2003Mostbet