mostbet
This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Hildesheim (Hildesheim County, Lower Saxony, Germany)

Stadt Hildesheim

Last modified: 2002-03-29 by
Keywords: lower saxony | niedersachsen | hildesheim | stadt hildesheim | kreis hildesheim | hildesheim county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors



[City of Hildesheim (Hildesheim County, Lower Saxony, Germany)] 3:5
by Stefan Schwoon



See also:


Description

The city uses a plain yellow-red bicolour. Hildesheim is one of the oldest cities in Lower Saxony and nowadays the seat of a county. Although destroyed in World War Two, the city has many cultural treasures. Two of its churches, the cathedral and St. Michael's church are part of Unesco's World Cultural Heritage list.

Stefan Schwoon, 23 March 2001

Colours from the base of the arms (quartered yellow and red). From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:

Hildesheim probably became a city at the end of the 12th or early in the 13th century. (...) [In the] 14th century (...) the arms of the city appear, indicating that the arms date from the end of the 13th century. At the time the arms were quartered of silver [white] and red. The eagle was granted in 1528 by Emperor Charles V. The arms never changed since and are used as such. (...)

Literature: Stadler 1964-1972.

Santiago Dotor, 8 March 2002

Mostbet