Last modified: 2011-06-13 by
Keywords: brunswick | braunschweig |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website: "The arms show the lion of the Welfen dynasty and especially symbolise Heinrich der Löwe (Henry the Lion) from the 12th century. The city was a stronghold of the Welfen (=(lion) cubs) dynasty. The oldest seal of the city, known from 1231 already shows a lion. A later seal places the lion in a church portal, but mostly the seals show only a lion. The colours are first mentioned in a manuscript from 1366, and are the colours of the Hanseatic League of cities of which Braunschweig was a member. The arms were officially granted in 1438 by King Albrecht II and have not really changed since. In 1963 the arms were reconfirmed.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1971.
Santiago Dotor, 13 Dec 2001
Brunswick [Braunschweig], city, countyfree city.
CoA adopted: historical
Flags adopted: 25th February 1953
Source: Arnold Rabbow, "Neues Braunschweigisches Wappenbuch", Braunschweiger Zeitungsverlag, 2003.
Jörg Majewski, 31 Mar 2007
According to Rabbow the official adoption date (by adoption of the Main Statute / Hauptsatzung) is indeed the 25 Feb 1953, but the flag has been used in a similar form since 1861.
Marcus E.V. Schmöger, 20 Oct 2007