Last modified: 2023-07-03 by
Keywords: lower saxony | landkreis celle | celle county | lion: rampant (blue) | heart | banner of arms |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Flag adopted 19th October 1964, coat-of-arms adopted 24th August 1928
A flag version of the arms. The flag is shown in Erich Dieter Linder, Die Flaggen deutscher Landkreise (Flags of German counties), in Der Flaggenkurier no. 2, 1996, pp. 4-10. The format there is 2:3. Illustration based on the picture at this website. Flag adopted 19.10.1964, according to Dirk Schönberger's Administrative Divisions of the World website, arms adopted 24.08.1928 according to Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website.
The flag and arms of Celle has a striking relation to the Danish arms [shown at the International Civic Arms website]. Apparently one of the Dukes of Brunswick-Luneburg (one of whose residences was Celle) married a Danish princess in the 15th century and henceforth added the Danish hearts to their arms.
Stefan Schwoon, 2 and 5 February 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The arms were granted on August 24, 1928. The arms are derived from the arms of the Dukes of Celle-Lüneburg, a branch of the Welfen dynasty. The Dukes used the arms with the lion and the field scattered with hearts (...). In the arms of the county the number of hearts has been reduced [to one!].
Literature: Stadler 1964-1971.
Santiago Dotor, 24 October 2001Red dog casino