mostbet
This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Kniphausen until 1855 (Germany)

Last modified: 2001-12-21 by
Keywords: kniphausen | lower saxony | varel | lion: rampant (black) | banner of arms | canton (blue) | panel (blue) | horse (white) | coat of arms (quartered) | coat of arms (lion) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors




See also:


Other sites:


Introduction

Inn- und Kniphausen was a tiny territory (even by German standards!). One part of it is today part of Wilhelmshaven, the other was in the area of Varel, in the south of Friesland County [Kreis Friesland]. All I know is that it was ruled by the Aldenburg-Bentinck family and annexed to Oldenburg in 1855. It gained some notoriety when it remained unoccupied by Napoleon. Since it was considered neutral, the counts made a fortune by allowing other ship-owners to use their flag. Of course, this practice didn't last long...

Stefan Schwoon, 28 February 2001

On this 1789 map at the Baden-Württemberg mailing list website, you can see the two enclaves of Kniphausen (but just above the limits of visibility) in the northwest section of the map. Kniphausen is two small enclaves one within Jever and one just to the south of it which is labelled Varel. While the northern portion of the principality is unlabelled its boundaries can just be discerned.

Ned Smith, 1 March 2001

The castle Kniphausen is in that northern half.

Stefan Schwoon, 28 February 2001


Banner-of-Arms

[Kniphausen banner-of-arms (Lower Saxony, Germany)]
by Jaume Ollé

On a yellow field a black lion rampant facing the hoist, somewhat offset towards hoist.

Norman Martin, March 1998


Flag 1689-1702

[Kniphausen 1689-1702 (Lower Saxony, Germany)]
by Jaume Ollé

On a red field a blue rectangle with a white horse facing [the] fly, with a blue canton containing a white St. Andrew's cross.

Norman Martin, March 1998


Flag 1702-1751

[Kniphausen 1702-1751 (Lower Saxony, Germany)]
by Jaume Ollé

A blue field. In the center a white horse facing the hoist.

Norman Martin, March 1998


Flag 1770-1813

[Kniphausen 1770-1813 (Lower Saxony, Germany)]
by Jaume Ollé

A blue-white-blue triband. In the white stripe the arms of Kniphausen. The flag was adopted after 1751 when rule passed to the Bentick branch of the counts of Aldenburg. In 1807 the county was transferred to Holland, and 1810 it was annexed by France. In 1814 was under Oldenburg administration. In 8 June 1825 the count of Bentinck was restored as sovereign by the Berlin Treaty, but was deposed 1849 by the Imperial administrator.

Norman Martin, March 1998


Flag 1850-1855

[Kniphausen 1850-1855 (Lower Saxony, Germany)]
by Jaume Ollé

Like 1770-1813 flag but with the Kniphausen lion rather than the previous arms in the coat of arms. Between 1849 and the suppresion of the State of Kniphausen (7 August 1854) a different ensign than the previous one was used (changes in shield). Kniphausen was annexed officially to Oldenburg 29 May 1855.

Norman Martin, March 1998

Mostbet