mostbet
This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Hagen (North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany)

Stadt Hagen

Last modified: 2001-12-21 by
Keywords: north rhine-westphalia | nordrhein-westfalen | hagen | stadt hagen | coat of arms (tree: yellow) | coat of arms (tree: oak) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors



[City of Hagen (North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany)] 3:5
by Stefan Schwoon
Coat-of-arms adopted 1897



See also:


Description

Blue-yellow with the arms. The arms are canting, Hag (or Wald) meaning forest. Sources: flag from Staack 1997, arms from Stadler 1964-1971.

Stefan Schwoon, 24 February 2001

From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:

Hagen received city rights in 1746 from King Friedrich II of Prussia. At the same time the first seal is known, which shows a canting Hag (Hag or Wald means forest). It was, however, also interpreted as a (natural) lily. In the 19th century the city thus sometimes used arms with two lilies. In 1897 the present arms were granted, based on the oldest seal. Originally a mural crown was added to the arms, but this is no longer used.

Literature: Stadler 1964-1971.

Santiago Dotor, 20 December 2001

Mostbet