This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Kusel County (Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany)

Landkreis Kusel

Last modified: 2004-12-29 by
Keywords: rhineland-palatinate | landkreis kusel | kusel county | coat of arms: parted per pale (lion) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Kusel County (Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany)] 3:5
by Stefan Schwoon
Flag adopted 19th February 1979, coat-of-arms adopted 13th December 1965

See also:


Divided yellow and blue, bearing the arms. Granted 19.2.1979. Sources: Debus 1988 and Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website.

Stefan Schwoon, 30 January 2001

From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:

The arms were granted on December 13, 1965. The arms show the lions of Veldenz and the Pfalz. The largest part of the county belonged in the late Middle Ages to the Counts of Veldenz. From 1393-1444 the Counts of the Pfalz gradually acquired most of the county and kept it until the end of the 19th century.

The counts of Veldenz founded a castle in Emichonen in 1115 and named themselves after the area (von Veldenz). [They] ruled until 1444, when [Veldenz] was incorporated in Pfalz-Zweibrücken.

Literature: Stadler 1964-1971.

Santiago Dotor, 23 October 2001

Hanging Flag


[Kusel County hanging flag (Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany)] 5:2
by Stefan Schwoon