Last modified: 2023-07-03 by
Keywords: schleswig-holstein | flensburg | stadt flensburg | coat of arms (lions: 2) | coat of arms (tower) | coat of arms: base (barry wavy) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Coat-of-arms adopted 1901, modified 1938
Blue with the arms. Also shown in this webpage of the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Flaggenkunde. Sources: flag from Staack 1997, coat-of-arms from Stadler 1964-1971.
Stefan Schwoon, 12 February 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
Flensburg received city rights already before 1270 and the oldest known seal dates from 1282. The present arms were granted in 1938 and are based on this oldest seal. The two lions are derived from the arms of the County of Schleswig, to which the city belonged. The tower and the waves symbolise the city itself. The small shield with the arms of the counts of Holstein was added in the 15th century. The arms were officially granted in 1901 and were only slightly changed in 1938.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1971.
Santiago Dotor, 21 November 2001Red dog casino