Last modified: 2003-12-13 by
Keywords: thuringia | thüringen | eichsfeld county | landkreis eichsfeld | coat of arms: eagle (red) | coat of arms: wheel (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Flag and coat-of-arms adopted 22nd March 1995
The Eichsfeld [meaning 'field of oaktrees'] belonged to the Archdiocese of Mainz for a long time hence the wheel. Following the territorial changes of the Napoleonic times it was split between Hanover and the Prussian province of Saxony hence the red eagle [of Brandenburg]. In 1945 the Prussian part was allocated to Thuringia, the other part is today a part of the county Göttingen in Lower Saxony. The flag is white-red with the arms. Sources: flag from Ulle 1999, arms from the Thuringia official website.
Stefan Schwoon, 12 March 2001
Flag adopted 22.03.1995, according to Dirk Schönberger's Administrative Divisions of the World website. From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The arms show the eagle of Brandenburg with the wheel of Mainz on its breast. A large part of the district belonged from the 9th century until 1802 to the State of Mainz. After 1802 the area belonged to the Prussian province of Brandenburg. The combination of the two symbols was first mentioned in 1817, when the arms were added to the great arms of the Kings of Prussia as the 32nd field (of 48).
Literature: Wappen und Siegel der Städte und Gemeinden des Landkreises Eichsfeld, Kultur und Sportamt des Landkreises Eichsfeld, Eichsfeld, 1997.
Santiago Dotor, 20 February 2002Mostbet