mostbet
This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Gran Canaria Island (Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Province, Canary Islands, Spain)

Last modified: 2010-03-27 by eugene ipavec
Keywords: gran canaria | las palmas de gran canaria | canary islands | telde |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Gran Canaria Island (Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Province, Canary Islands, Spain)]
image by Jaume Ollé
[Former Flag, Gran Canaria Island (Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Province, Canary Islands, Spain)]
image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Mar 2010
 
 



See also:


Other sites:


Description

The flag of the island of Gran Canaria was adopted on 10th April 1989.

Jaume Ollé, 10 Jan 1997

Its capital is Las Palmas de Gran Canaria; beware not to confuse it with Santa Cruz de la Palma, on La Palma island, for which Santa Cruz will also do; also don't confuse that one with Santa Cruz de Tenerife, on Tenerife island...

António Martins, 02 Oct 1998

The current flag, divided per bend sinister yellow and blue, exists also with the coat of arms in its centre. The arms consist of a shield divided per fess, the upper half is divided per pale. The 1st field shows in a red field a golden (yellow) embattled fortress (tower) masoned black with blue windows and door, topped by three turrets. The 2nd field shows in a silvery (white) field a red rampant lion crowned, armed and tongued golden. The 3rd field shows in a golden (yellow) field a palm tree standing on a rock supported by two rampant dogs, all in natural colour. The shield has a red bordure superimposed by five pairs of crossed swords. The shield is topped by a royal crown.

The genuine shield was granted to the island by Juana la Loca in 1506, without the later modifications added in order to distinguish from the coat of arms of the island's capital city of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (N.B.: to display the details better, the coat of arms in my image is probably bigger than that one upon the actual flag.)

The flag was introduced without coat of arms in 1869 as a registry flag ("bandera de matricula) of the newly-established maritime province of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, replacing the flag from 1483. It is nowadays the island flag of Gran Canaria with and without coat of arms and was officially adopted on 24 November 1990 by order of the Consejería de la Presidencia del Gobierno de Canarias, published in BOC of the 7th of December 1990.

Source: [ebz07], p.58-59

Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Mar 2010


Former Flag

[Former Flag, Gran Canaria Island (Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Province, Canary Islands, Spain)]
image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Mar 2010

The former (1483) flag was a white flag with the coat of arms in its centre. The coat of arms is that of the current flag. The coat of arms was later modified several times, and the flag was also used as flag of the island's capital until it was abolished in 1896.

Source: [ebz07], p.78-80

Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Mar 2010


Municipality of Telde

The flag of Telde is shown at this website.

Dov Gutterman, 21 Jan 2002

Mostbet