Last modified: 2010-03-20 by eugene ipavec
Keywords: villa de mazo | la palma | palma (la) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
N.B.: Reconstruction from written sources
image by Ivan Sache, 22 Mar 2007
The municipality of "Villa de Mazo" (Town of Mazo, a title granted by King Alfonso XII on 18 March 1878) is the third biggest municipality of the island of La Palma by its area (7,117 ha; 4,621 inhabitants in 2001); it was even once bigger before the secession of Fuencaliente on 19 February 1837. Fuencaliente asked for the reunification in 1852, to no avail. Population in the municipality is scattered over 14 entities and boroughs; until 1940, it included 49 inhabited nuclei. Mazo was often damaged by the eruptions of the San Antonio volcano, for the last time in 1949. During the night of 15 to 16 January 1957, a flood claimed 25 lives in different villages of the municipality. (1)
On 14 March 2007, "El Día" (2) reports that the municipal administration of Mazo will unveil the municipal flag on 18 March 2007, completing a process that had started on 16 January 2006. The flag is vertically divided Bordeaux red-gold with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.
According to the municipal website (1), the coat of arms of Mazo was approved by the Heraldry Commission of the Autonomous Community of the Canary Islands and confirmed by the Council of the Presidency on 15 March 1994. There is a small image of the arms on the top of the frontpage of the municipal website; a better image of the arms can be found on the website of the San Blas Wrestling Club of Mazo (3). The first quarter is red with unidentified charges, maybe refering to a local saint, whereas the second quarter is yellow with a grape. The point of the shield seems to depict an element of the local landscape.
Ivan Sache, 22 Mar 2007Mostbet