This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
British Fiji Islands 1874-1970 (Fiji)
Last modified: 2023-07-03 by
Keywords: fiji | union flag | ensign: blue | disc (white) | coat of arms (cross: red) | coat of arms: chief (lion: passant guardant) | coat of arms: chief (lion: yellow) | coat of arms: quartered (dove) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Until 1952 the office of Governor of Fiji was combined with that of Western Pacific High Commissioner.
David Prothero, 1 October 1999
The above image by Pascal Gross was the Blue Ensign of Fiji between 1908 and 1924. The sequence of Fiji badges was:
A date in Dorling Kindersley 1997 is wrong. Fiji became part of the British Empire in 1874 not 1784.
- 1877: Circular badge of foliage and crossed war-clubs with a superimposed shield bearing a mermaid looking at herself in a hand mirror.
- 1882: The Colonial Office wrote to the Admiralty that M. des Volux had complained about the device for the badge of the colony and suggested a simpler one. Apparently it was thought that it had been based on the Public Seal, but was actually the Seal of the Supreme Court of Fiji.
- 1883: Admiralty approved, "as the badge for the colony and the device for its flag", a white disc with the word FIJI beneath the crest of the Royal Arms (crown surmounted by lion). This, at the time, was similar to the badge of British Columbia [bottom left quarter of this arms] which was the crest of the Royal Arms between the letters B C.
1908: Arms granted on 4th July on a white disc.
1924: A letter dated 8th May informed the Colonial Office that instructions to remove the white circle had been issued by the governor. (ADM 116/1847B). Admiralty Flag Book 1930, plate 35; under Fiji, notes that there is no white circle.
- 1970: Current flags.
David Prothero, 22 December 1999 and 24 October 2002
State Ensign 1908-1924
by Željko Heimer
Flag and coat-of-arms adopted 4th July 1908, modified 1924
State Ensign 1924-1970
Red dog casino
by Željko Heimer
Flag adopted 1924 (coat-of-arms adopted 4th July 1908), abolished 1970