Last modified: 2003-07-05 by
Keywords: pennant | versailles | satory |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
The Support Base of Versailles-Satory (Base de Support de Versailles-Satory - BSVS) recently recieved its pennant (fanion. The pennant shows the facade of the Hall of Mirrors (Galerie des Glaces), in the palace of Versailles, a fleur-de-lys, the double-head roaster symbolizing the Republic (probably the double-headed roaster issuant shown on the municipal flag of Versailles, which was designed shortly before the proclamation of the French Republic), all these elements being set in a sword pointing downwards.
The pennant was officially offered by Army General Costedoat, Military Governor of Paris, to Lieutenant-Colonel Brun, in the presence of high civil and military authorities. The BSVS is a recent corps, which has been stationed in Satory since the 1 July 2002. The corps, including 115 members, is commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel Brun. The BSVX is commissioned to organize quickly the housing of 800 people and the distribution of 1,000 meals per day, and to manage the outfit, bedding, camp and furnishing for 2,300.
Source: Versailles Magazine, the official monthly newsletter published by the municipality of Versailles, November 2002.
A colour picture attached to the paper shows a square flag with agolden fringe, diagonally divided yellow-red. Details of the pennant are not shown.
The camp of Satory is located in Versailles. It was used as a prisoner's camp after the insurrection of the Commune in Paris in 1870. In 1945. the allied troops rallied there before the assault of Paris. The Second Armoured Division (2e Division Blindée, 2e DB), originally commanded by General Leclerc, has been stationed in Satory since then. The creation of the BSVS is most probably part of the modernization plan of the French armed forces, in which the mission of the camp of Satory was controversial.
Ivan Sache, 7 December 2002Red dog casino