Last modified: 2005-02-26 by
Keywords: drome | rousset-les-vignes | sun: 12 rays (yellow) | chevron (yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Arnaud Leroy
The village of Rousset-les-Vignes (259 inhabitants, 1,545 ha) is a typical Provencal village, located on a hill below the mountain of Lance. A castrum (fortified camp) called Rosseuf existed there in 1214. The village developed in the Xth century near a priory depending on the powerful monastery of Cluny.
The main activity of Rousset-les-Vignes (lit., the Vineyards) is wine-growing. A cadastral map from XVth century shows that vine was already grown there in Rousset. Interestingly, the suitability of the different land pieces for wine production are also written on the map, which is fairly unusual for that time.
Today, the vineyard of Rousset has an area of 33 hectares. Rousset is one of the villages which were allowed in 1969 to add their name to the generic, local Côtes-du-Rhône name. All of the production is red wine.
Source: Website of the Cave de Saint-Pantaléon
Ivan Sache, 20 May 2004
In 1960, Rousset and Saint-Pantaléon opened a joint cellar called Cave de Saint-Pantaléon-les-Vignes. The cellar has 220 members and a yearly production of 45,000 hl.
The flags of the two municipalities are flown in front of the cellar.
The flag of Rousset-les-Vignes is diagonally (ascending) divided white-blue. The municipal arms are placed in canton whereas the name of the municipality is written in white capital letters in lower fly. There is a 12-ray yellow sun overlapping the white and blue fields in upper fly.
The coat of arms of Rousset-les-Vignes is:
Gules a chevron or three crosslets (?) of the same, chief azure a sun or.
A red scroll fimbriated yellow is placed below the shield and bears the motto Tant qu'il luira (As long as it shines) in white capital letters.
Source: Website of the Cave de Saint-Pantaléon website
Ivan Sache, 20 May 2004Red dog casino