mostbet
This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Saint-Pantaléon-les-Vignes (Municipality, Drôme, France)

Last modified: 2005-02-26 by
Keywords: drome | saint-pantaleon-les-vignes | sun: 12 rays (yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Flag of Saint-Pantaleon]by Arnaud Leroy


See also:


Presentation of Saint-Pantaléon-les-Vignes

The village of Saint-Pantaléon-les-Vignes (321 inhabitants, 831 ha) is located a few kilometers south of Rousset-les-Vignes. It was named after Pantaléon, the personal doctor of the emperor Maximien, who was beheaded around 303 and is celebrated on 27 July. Pantaléon is not a common surname in France although there are five villages called Saint-Pantaléon.

Wine was already produced in the Middle Ages, and a document dated 1327 mentions that the inhabitants of Saint-Pantaléon paid a wine tithe to their lord. The village was built around a priory depending on the monastery of Cluny destroyed in the XIVth century. Until the XVIIIth century, Saint-Pantaleon was a hamlet depending on the municipality of Rousset. The epithet -les Vignes (the Vineyards) was added in 1918 to the name of the municipality.
Today, the vineyard of Saint-Pantaléon has an area of 39 hectares. Saint-Pantaléon is one of the villages which were allowed in 1969 to add their name to the generic, local Côtes-du-Rhône name. All of the production is red and rose wine. The wine-growers have maintained the tradition of the ban des vendanges (proclamation of wine harvest). The date of wine harvest is decided by the youngest and the oldest wine-growers of the village and validated by a member of the municipal council. The first municipal orders prescribing the date of wine harvest date back to 1840.

Source: Website of the Cave de Saint-Pantaléon

Ivan Sache, 20 May 2004


Municipal flag of Saint-Pantaléon-les-Vignes

In 1960, Rousset and Saint-Pantaléon opened a joint cellar called Cave de Saint-Pantaléon-les-Vignes. The cellar has 220 members and a yearly production of 45,000 hl.
The flags of the two municipalities are flown in front of the cellar.

The flag of Saint-Pantaléon-les-Vignes is diagonally (ascending) divided red-blue with a 12-ray yellow sun in canton and the name of the municipality written in white capital letters in the lower parts of the flag. Saint is abbreviated ST, the T being superscript. An hyphen is added below the T. PANTALEON is written on the same line and with the same letters as the S. LES VIGNES is written one line below with LES being of the same size as the T of ST and VIGNES of a size intermediate between PANTALEON and LES.

Source: Website of the Cave de Saint-Pantaléon website

Ivan Sache, 20 May 2004

Mostbet