Last modified: 2023-07-03 by
Keywords: meurthe-et-moselle | longwy | fishes: 2 (yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
by Pascal Vagnat
Longwy is a city of 15,000 inhabitants located closeto the Belgian and Luxembourgian borders.
Longwy successively belonged to the Duchy of Luxembourg, the County of Bar (therefore the canting basses, bar in French, on the municipal coat of arms), and the Duchy of Lorraine (therefore the crosses?). France besieged the city in 1647 and 1670, and Longwy was incorporated to France by the treaty of Nijmegen in 1678. Louis XIV then asked Vauban to fortify the city in 1679. Being a border city, Longwy was occupied by Prussia in 1792, 1815 and 1870, and Germany in 1870 and 1914-1918.
The city is divided in three parts: Longwy-Haut (Upper-Longwy), the ancient fortified city; Longwy-Bas (Lower-Longwy), the administrative center; and Longwy-Gouraincourt, the industrial center. The basin of Longwy was in the past one of the main center of siderurgical industry in Lorraine. The workers' housing estate in Gouraincourt was set up in 1878 and had initially only 3 inhabitants. In 1911, there were 3,100 people living there, and the estate was achieved in 1935.
Ivan Sache, 22 February 2002
The municipal flag of Longwy is vertically divided red-yellow with the municipal coat of arms placed in the middle of the flag.
Ivan Sache, 22 February 2002Red dog casino