Last modified: 2007-05-05 by
Keywords: moselle | diebling | lion (black) | stones: 2 (yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Municipal flag of Diebling - Image by Pascal Vagnat, 20 March 2007
The municipality and rural village of Diebling (1,671 inhabitants; 784 ha) is located in northern Lorraine, 10 km south-east of Forbach.
Diebling is named after a Frankish warlord who settled the valley of Strichbach at some time between 700 and 1000. The village was known as Dubelange in 1272, Duebling at the end of the XVIth century and Dieblingen during the German occupation.
Ivan Sache, 20 March 2007
The municipal flag of Diebling, as seen there, is white with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.
The arms of Diebling are:
D'argent au lion de sable à la bordure de gueules chargée en chef de deux cailloux d'or (argent a lion sable a border gules in chief two pebbles or).
These are the arms of the former lords of Diebling, who were the Bishop of Metz Laurent de Lichtenberg and the chapter of the St. Stefan collegiate church of Homburg, symbolized by the two pebbles.
St. Stephen is presented in the Act of the Apostles as one of the first deacons and the Protomartyre of Christianity. Stephen was stoned to death c. 34-35 in Jerusalem; he is portrayed in the Christian iconography with the martyrs' palm and three stones. St. Stephen's Day, 26 December, is a bank holiday in Alsace-Moselle but not in the rest of France.
Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 20 March 2007Mostbet