Last modified: 2004-01-17 by
Keywords: haute-savoie | saint-jean-de-sixt | triangle (red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
by Ivan Sache & Olivier Touzeau
Saint-Jean-de-Sixt is the smallest (1,015 inhabitants) of the villages in the massif of Aravis The village is located in the bottom of the Danay mountain (1,730 m asl).
The name of Sixt comes from the stone-cutters, locally called scyts, scits or sits (from Latin scindere, to split), who were already renowned in the Middle Ages for the production of millstones.
The chapel of Villaret was built in 1600 on the site of the house where the Blessed Pierre Favre was born. Pierre Favre (1506-1546) was one of the seven founders of the Society of Jesus. He travelled through Europe for 10 years, walking and riding more than 12,000 kms, to propagate his faith.
The Pont des Etroits (Narrow bridge), over the river Borne, was until 1922 the limit of the Tax-Free Zone. The bridge was of course carefully avoided by the local smugglers.
Ivan Sache, 20 October 2003
The flag is white, with the municipal logo.
The red triangle might represent the chapel of Villaret or the village church, highlighting the village characteristic of the ski resort. The green and blue curves might represent the bridge over the Borne, but all of that is pure persoanl speculation.
Ivan Sache, 20 October 2003Mostbet Betwinner