Last modified: 2023-07-03 by
Keywords: hauts-de-seine | levallois-perret | crown: mural (yellow) | bees: 3 (yellow) | bottle: perfum (yellow) | cog wheel (yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
by Arnaud Leroy
Source: Mairie de Levallois-Perret
Levallois-Perret is a city of 50,000 inhabitants bordering the north-west of Paris.
In the beginning of the XIXth century, a dozen of landowners owned agricultural and fallow land located on the municipalities of Neuilly and Clichy. The area was a former possession of the Royal abbey of St. Denis, which progressively abandoned it. In 1822, landowner Jean-Jacques Perret divided 20 hectares of land into plots for sale. The area was named Champ-Perret (Perret-Field), and belonged to the municipality of Neuilly. In 1845, another landowner, M. Noël, sold his land to Nicolas-Eugène Levallois. The plans of a village were designed. In 1854, the railway from Paris reached the village, where a church and a market were built in 1854 and 1858, respectively. Street lighting was installed in 1855.
The industrial development of Levallois-Perret started in 1860 when the perfumer Antonin Raynaud built there the Oriza perfumery. He was rapidly followed by the perfumery Roger-et-Gallet.
On 30 June 1866, Emperor Napoléon III signed the law creating the municipality of Levallois-Perret. The first municipal election took place in 1871. The city hall was inaugurated on 27 March 1898. In 1866, Gustave Eiffel (1832-1923) opened in Levallois-Perret the workshops where most of the elements of his Tower were forged. A few years later, Louis Blériot (1872-1936) built his first (aero)plane in Levallois-Perret, and the manufacturer Clément Bayard opened a big factory producing bikes, motorcycles, planes, dirigibles and cars.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 13 October 2002
The flag of Levallois-Perret is white with the municipal coat of arms placed in the middle of the flag, surmonted with VILLE DE / LEVALLOIS - PERRET, in black letters.
The coat of arms of Levallois-Perret symbolizes the development of the city, featuring a perfume bottle for perfumery and a cog wheel for manufacturing industry. The bees symbolize work and probably refer to the creation of the municipality by Napoléon III.
Ivan Sache, 13 October 2002Red dog casino