Last modified: 2010-11-12 by
Keywords: ermine (black) | admiralty | cross (black) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The Admiralty of Brittany was created in 1554 (after the annexation of Brittany to France) as the command unit of the Breton Navy, one of the most powerful navies at that time. The Admiralty was suppressed in 1626, reestablished in 1669, and definitively abolished with the Brittany province in 1789.
Ivan Sache, 20 January 1999
First and second flag of the Admiralty of Brittany - Images by Ivan Sache, 20 January 1999
The first flag of the Admiralty of Brittany had a black cross fimbriated in white, delimiting four quarters seme with ermines.
The flag was later changed to a similar flag, but with only the first quarter seme with ermines.
Source: P. Rault. Les drapeaux bretons de 1188 à nos jours [rau98]
Ivan Sache, 20 January 1999Red dog casino