Last modified: 2006-06-24 by
Keywords: saltire | cross: saint andrew | hawick |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Chris Pinette, 17 January 2001
by Marcus Schmöger
During a raid into Scotland in 1514 the Prior of Hexham's standard was captured by the "Hallwick Callants" and appropriated as the Hawick flag. A vertical line was put through St Andrew's cross. The letters H.C. stand for "Hawick Callants". A copy was presented to the Hexham Abbey by Hawick in 1914 on the 400th anniversary of its capture.
Marcus Schmöger, 25 September 2001