Last modified: 2008-07-26 by
Keywords: oxford brookes university | westminster institute |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Westminster College was founded in 1851 as a Methodist teacher training establishment, located in London at Horseferry Road, Westminster, hence the name. In 1959, it moved to Oxford, but kept the same name. In 2000, it was taken over by Oxford Brookes University and is now named "Oxford Brookes University, Westminster Institute of Education - Harcourt Hill Campus". In terms of vexillogical development, this was quite interesting, because Westminster College did have a flag, a banner of arms, as shown on this page here: http://www.brookes.ac.uk/schools/education/campus-history.html but, of course, this flag ceased to be in a legal sense - it is an ex-flag - with the takeover of the college by Oxford Brookes University although, it does still exist in a real sense. The Grant of Arms may be viewed in the Library and the flag may be viewed in Room GG/01-4. It has not been flown since 2000. Graham [Bartram] has a photograph of the flag.
(1) Personal observation of the former flag, 19 March 2007
(2) Oxford Brookes University web site, http://www.brookes.ac.uk/schools/education/campus-history.html, undated, but as consulted 27 April 2008
Colin Dobson, 27 April 2008