Last modified: 2023-07-03 by
Keywords: kalamaria | ship (red) | argo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Municipal flag of Kalamaria - Image by Thanos Tzikas, 10 July 2003
Kalamaria is a municipality that lies next to Thessaloniki, where it belonged until 1943. Its population is about 120,000, Kalamaria being the second biggest city in Northern Greece and ninth in the whole country. Though the area has been inhabited since the ancient years, the name "Kalamaria" appeared in 1083 for the first time. It must mean Kali Meria (nice place) or Skala Meria (the place of the Skala, which is the name for the Byzantine naval station). Most of Kalamaria's people came after 1922 and the exchange of populations between Greece and Turkey. They were Greeks who lived in Pontos, Asia Minor and Eastern Thrace.
Thanos Tzikas, 10 July 2003
The flag of Kalamaria is white the ship of Jason and the Argonauts named Argo. The ship "writes" ΔΗΜΟΣ ΚΑΛΑΜΑΡΙΑΣ (Municipality of Kalamaria) above the sea waves.
Source: Municipal website
Thanos Tzikas, 10 July 2003Red dog casino