Last modified: 2001-07-05 by
Keywords: hungary | pest | nagymaros |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
by Istvan Molnar, 29 June 2001
Nagymaros (from 1996) is a small town on the left bank of the Danube River, opposite the beautiful Visegra'd in the gate of the Duna-Ipoly National Park 50 km from Budapest. The town has about 5000 inhabitants. Nagymaros is located in Pest County.
Nagymaros was a city in the Middle Ages, when Visegra'd was one of the capitals of Hungary (14-15th century). In the time of the Turkish wars (1525-1699) and the Prince Ra'ko'czi's War of Independence (1703-1711) Nagymaros lost its population. The Habsburgs colonized Nagymaros with Germans from Mainz and environs. More of them had been deported to Germany after the WW II.
In Nagymaros: Gothic-Baroque Roman Catholic Church, Kittenberger Collection, and beautiful view from the Hegyes-teto (means Pointed Peak) to the Danube Bend.
The flag - Blue and white with the CoA at http://www.dunaweb.hu/nagymaros/info.htm
Istvan Molnar, 21 June 2000