This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Zamardi (Somogy County, Hungary)


Last modified: 2001-03-30 by
Keywords: hungary | zamardi | somogy | sun | gull | cross |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors

by Istvan Molnar, 16 March 2001

See also:


Zamárdi is a 'large village' in Somogy County in Hungary near to Town of Siófok (10 km west) on the southern beach of the Lake Balaton. The settlement has got 2.312 inhabitants (1990 census), all of them are Hungarians. Neighbouring settlements are: Szántód, Kőröshegy, Balatonendréd villages and Siófok town, Balatonfüred, Csopak and Tihany villages in the northern part of the lake.
"The area of Zamárdi was inhabited already in the Copper, Bronze and Iron Age, and tracks of the Celts and ancient Romans have also been found. A very extensive archeology find has been discovered from the Avarian cemetery which was probably one of the largest and richest burial grounds in the Carpathian Basin. (...) The name of Zamárdi is mentioned in written documents of the era, at first in a certificate dated 1082, then in the authentic certificate of King Stephen the Third dated 1171. (...) In the 16th century, the Turkish army totally destructed (...) the villages, and the area was abandoned for a very long time. Our village was revived by Vildebald Grassó and his successor, Ágoston Lécs, both of them abbots of Tihany in the thirties of the 18th century. "
In 1910 Zamárdi was a village in the Tab district of Somogy County of the Kingdom of Hungary. Number of its inhabitants in 1910: 961; 950 (98,9%) Hungarian and 11 (1,1%) other by mother tongue, 912 (94,9%) Roman Catholic, 37 (3,9%) Calvinist, 8 (0,8%) Jew and 4 (0,4%) other by religion.
Description of the CoA of the village: The gold sun and the white gull relate to the beautiful Balaton, the silver cross on the triplicate hill relatesto the Holy Orfer of St. Benedict, the cluster of grapes relates to the vineyards of the settlement and the leves of the oak-tree relates the great forests of the settlement.
Image and the description based on the Res. No. 15/1993 of the Council of the Community about the CoA of the settlement and the Res. No. 16/2000 of the Council of the Community aout the flag and the CoA of the settlement
Istvan Molnar, 16 March 2001

Coat of Arms

from , located by Istvan Molnar, 4 March 2001