Last modified: 2002-10-19 by
Keywords: south moluccas | maluk selatan | republik maluku selatan |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
by Mark Sensen, 30 June 1999
The daerah South Moluccas was part of the Federation of East Indonesian States (Negara Indonesia Timur [NIT], established in December 1946). After it was clear that this state would be absorbed into a unitary Indonesia the independent Republik Maluk Selatan was proclaimed on Ambon on 25 April 1950, after the formation of an independent Republik Indonesia Timur failed.
The flag is vertical blue, white, green, red (1:1:1:6) and has proportions 2:3. It was first hoisted 2 May 1950 at 10.00 AM. Two days later the government gave the explanation of the flag. Blue symbolises the sea and loyalty, white stands for purity, peace and the white beaches, green the vegetation, and red the ancestors and blood of the people.
Source: http://dlm.org/ned/Geschiedenis/RMS.Geschiedenis/ (Dutch only)
Mark Sensen, 21 May 1998
Mark Sensen, 30 June 1999
The government of the Republic of the South Moluccas officially adopted the coat-of-arms in July 1950. It shows a 'pombo', about to start flying, the wings half opened and in the beak a peace branch, the chest tattooed with a crossed 'parang', 'salawaku' and spear (arrow). The 'pombo' is a white South Moluccan dove. The devise "Mena - Muria" means "in front - behind", representing the indivisible.
Mark Sensen, 29 August 1999, translated from Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung report no. (issue 190 1-2-76)