Last modified: 2007-06-23 by dov gutterman
Keywords: ashdod | iriyat ashdod | anchor (white) | text: hebrew (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dov Gutterman | 2:3
Emblem adopted 16th January 1969
Ashdod is situated on the sea shore, 27 km south to Tel Aviv and is the main port of the area. Its name taken from the Bible (Joshua 15,20-47). Founded in 1956 and got a big boost when the port was built. Pop, 150,000. The unofficial municipal flag is blue with a white emblem. The municipal emblem was published in the official gazette (Rashumot, Yalkut ha-Pirsumim), YP 1499, 16 January 1969, to replace that of the former Local Council which had been published in YP 1001, 28 March 1963. Sources: author's own observation, 29 September 2001.
Dov Gutterman, 12 October 2001
The municipal website elaborate about its emblem:
"Meaning of the emblem: the emblem represent ,in short lines, the ancient and renewed Ashdod.
The Lion head represent Juda tribe, in whose part was the area where Ashdod is situated.
The line that go on from the lion head representAncient ship fron the biblical era.
The Anchor represent the new port
The aggression of the lion represent dynamism - the force which build and create Ashdod after the establishment of the state of Israel as well of the conquest of the sea for the benefit of the society.
The emblem was designed by the artist Yitzhak Bakhar"
The emblem appear on a stamp issued on 24 March 1965 (when Ashdod was still a local council) - see <www.israelphilately.org.il> .
Dov Gutterman, 9 April 2005
image from municipal website