Last modified: 2007-06-30 by dov gutterman
Keywords: migdal | mo'atza mekomit migdal | text: hebrew (black) | palm tree (black) | waves (black) | text: hebrew (white) | palm tree (white) | waves (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
both images by Dov Gutterman | 2:3
Emblem adopted 25th September 1969
by Dov Gutterman | 2:3
Local Council Migdal (meaning tower) is named after the old city of Migdala Nunia (which in Aramaic meant fish tower) and is situated just west of the Sea of Galilee (Kinnereth Sea) about 8 km north of Tiberias on Tiberias-Rosh Pina road (Road 90, the longest road in Israel, connecting Metula in the north and Eilat in the south). It was founded in 1910 and has 1,500 inh.
According to the Local Council, the unofficial flag is the municipal emblem on a white field. Sources: letter from the Local Council secretariat; map/information of the Local Council, Benyamin Blueshtein Publishing, 1998. The municipal emblem was published in the official gazette (Rashumot), 'Publications Gazette' section (Yalkut HaPirsumim), YP 1664, 25 September 1969.
However, actually used flags are yellow with black emblem and green with white emblem.
Source: author's own observation, 2 October 2001.
Dov Gutterman, 8 September and 14 October 2001
The modern history of this colony started with small group of Catholic Germans who identify the site as the birth place of Miriam Magdalen and settled here in 1908. They left after a year and the land was bought by Zionist from Russia which founded the agriculture farm Akhuzat Moskva (Moscow Estate) in 1910. The farm was dissolved few years later and the land was sold to private investors and a new group settled in 1923-1924 from whom this colony was evolved.
Local Council since 1949.
The emblem show the Sea of Galilee (Kinnereth Sea) and a palm tree.
Dov Gutterman, 23 April 2005