This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Het Bildt (The Netherlands)
Last modified: 2004-03-06 by
Keywords: het bildt |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.shipmate.nl/flags.htm
Other Bilker pages:
adopted 29 June 1955
Het Bildt municipalityNumber of inhabitants (1 Jan 2003): 10.545; area: 116,48 km². Settlements: Sint Annaparochie (seat), Minnertsga, Oude Bildtzijl, Sint Jacobiparochie, Vrouwenparochie, Westhoek.
Minnertsga (Minnertsgea) was added in 1984, after the former municipality of Barradeel was dissolved.
This municipality is a 'polder' in the old Middelzee, which in olden days nearly split the present province of Friesland in half. Starting 1505 the sea made place for land. Building the dikes was mostly done by people from South Holland, most of whom stayed there and until now they have retained their own dialect ('Bilkerts').
Sierksma in 'Nederlands Vlaggenboek', 1962 [sie62] writes:
This flag was adopted on 29 June 1955 by municipial decree. The tripartition points at the three original parishies in this area; the trangle at the geographical form of this polder which was diked by Hollanders (from which the colors of Zuidholland). The colors have been derived too from the municipal COA: bottom white and blue reminds of the COA of Westergo. The image of the flag shows the geographical situation: the triangular polder in the mouth of the old Middelzee (white), between the so-called Oudland (blue) and the 'Nijlân' (new land - green). Moreover one encounters in this flag the colors of Oude Leije (RYB) and Oude Bildtzijl (VWR), whose flags are on Hesman's manuscript of 1708.
Jarig Bakker, 21 May 1999
Het Bildt CoA image from the municipal site.
adopted 23 Apr 1919.