mostbet
This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Kootstertille (The Netherlands)

Achtkarspelen municipality, Fryslân province

Last modified: 2003-08-21 by
Keywords: kootstertille |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors



[Kootstertille flag] Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.shipmate.nl/flags.htm

See also:

Kootstertille village

Kootstertille / Koatstertille (2510 inhabitants) - Kooten is derived from Cottum - keuterboeren - crofters. In 1571 the Spanish officer and "stadhouder" of the northernmost provinces of the Netherlands ordered the digging of the "Kolonelsdiep" (kolonel's channel), renamed in 1945 to Prinses Margrietkanaal. In Kooten came a high bridge over this channel, in order to function as "kar ga door" - cart go on (voluntarily pushing and afterwards asking for money). The bridge was named in Frisian "De Tille" - high bridge or: where one had to lift. Now there are some wharfs and a harbour, and de Tille swallowed the village of Koten
In 1959 the village of Kooten became part of Kootstertille, and it was decided to change the village CoA. It is unknown whether the new CoA has been adopted. The high bridge (tille) can be opened for large ships travelling from Lemmer to Groningen; it is represented in the new arms by a golden broken chevron in blue. The blue color stands for the Prinses Margrietkanaal. The shipbuilding is of provincial interest, so the blue and gold equally represent the Frisian CoA. Two ship-screws of gold, above and below the chevron, symbolize shipbuilding and shipping in the canal.
In the flag the elements of the CoA return. The blue hoist-triangle is the canal; the ship-screw symbolizes shipbuilding and shipping in the canal, and the broken black chevron the big movable bridge. The colors black and white refer to the old CoA of Kooten, while the blue hoist-triangle refers to the new elements in the arms.
Source: Wapens en vlaggen in de gemeente Achtkarspelen, Buitenpost, 1999.

The flag and CoA of Kootstertille (municipality of Achtkarspelen) are registered in the Genealogysk Jierboekje of 2000, pp.
196-197. The arms were designed by Jelle Terluin (Fryske Rie foar Heraldyk), the flag by me.
However they have not been adopted. Some prominent Kootstertillers prefer the arms of the old village of Kooten.
Hans van Heijningen, 3 Aug 2003


Kootstertille CoA

[Kootstertille CoA] from the Achtkarspelen municipal website.

Kooten village CoA

[Koten village CoA] image from the Encyclopedie van Friesland, 1958.

The CoA of Kooten was rediscovered in 1957 in the armory of Andries Schoemaker, who made this c. 1695. Twelve Frisian village CoAs were drawn in this manuscript, among which the arms of Kooten. The two bars in the CoA may point at the CoA of the former Frisian division of Oostergo (the Oostergo arms is red with two silver bars). The meaning of the merlettes is unknown.
Source: Wapens en vlaggen in de gemeente Achtkarspelen, Buitenpost, 1999.


Mostbet