mostbet
This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Ringsumageest (The Netherlands)

Dantumadeel municipality, Fryslân province

Last modified: 2003-05-02 by
Keywords: rinsumageest |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors



Ringsumageast village Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.shipmate.nl/flags.htm

See also:

Rinsumageest village (De Geast)

The Frisian name of this village in NW Dantumadiel is Rinsumageast or De  Geast. It used to be the capital of the municipality till 1881. From  1165-1580 there was the monastery Klaarkamp, a Cistercians abbey,  which was founded by monks from Clairvaux and Riddagshausen. Monks from  Klaarkamp founded many other abbeys in Friesland and Oostfriesland. It  was the birthplace of the historian Worp van Thabor (?-1538).  The village flag has a curious background (see the village website:
After the restoration of the church, dating from the 11th century, a new weather-vane had to be placed on the tower. The "Fryske Rie foar  Heraldyk" (Frisian Council for Heraldry) was asked to design a new one.  This it did, and for good measure it designed a new village CoA and  flag. The castle on the flag is split in four parts, which stand for the four 'states' (castles) Juwsmastate, Melkemestate, Eysingastate and  Tjaardastate. Yellow is for the sandy soil (geest = sandy clay); red for the important houses built here from Frisian bricks (big ones).
Jarig Bakker, 10 january 2001

Rinsumageest CoA

[Ringsumageast CoA] International Civic Arms : http://www.ngw.nl/

Mostbet