Last modified: 2003-07-18 by
Keywords: nijmegen |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.shipmate.nl/flags.htm
adopted 1 Jan 1995.
Sierksma (Nederlands vlaggenboek, 1962) writes: The yellow-black-yellow flag was adopted 9 September 1953. The colors are derived from the CoA. Unfortunately the double eagle has been omitted, depriving the flag of a characteristic element. On a very old skippers-antependium (c. 1494) of the St. Olofs-chapel in Nijmegen has been found a yellow city flag with the black eagle.
Also the white-red edging, present on several images of city flags of Nijmegen, dating from the time that Maximilian of Austria in 1482 stretched his hand over the city, has been lost.
The new Black over Red flag was adopted in 1994.
Jarig Bakker, 8 October 1999
Until the beginning of the 1950s Nijmegen did not have an official flag. A flag was used with the colors black and red, sometimes with two stripes, sometimes with more stripes. In 1953 the municipal considered several possibilities. At first a black-red flag was preferred, later on a flag with three equal horizontal stripes yellow-black-yellow was chosen. The colors were derived from the municipal arms.
But the colors black-red have historical rights. This is evident from the shutters of the Waag and the Latijn School, but also from the painting of the Nijmeegse barrel of shame, which was used in the Middle Ages and now can be admired in the Museum "de Commanderie van St. Jan". There is also the "kovel", a ceremonial mayor's cap used from 1592-1770. Most convincing for the black-red flag is the antependium, the curtain of the altar-table of the St. Olofs chapel of the Nijmeegse Schippersgilde. The flag in the crow's nest shows two stripes. top black, bottom red. In 1994 the municipal council reconsidered the issue and decided that the old city-flag would be restored.
Information from the Nijmegen municipal website.
Flag used in 1938, probably at the occasion of Queen Wilhelmina's 40 years reigning jubilee.
Granted 7 Aug 1953.