Last modified: 2004-07-10 by
Keywords: beverwijk |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.shipmate.nl/flags.htm
The flag, adopted 9 Oct 1948, is derived from the top of the municipal CoA. The lilies are a typical phenomenon of "Kennemerland" (the area around Haarlem). Sierksma's Nederlands vlaggenboek, 1962, has slightly different lilies (more French); that flag was adopted 8 Oct 1948.
Jarig Bakker, 10 July 2001
The reference to beavers is probably incorrect, please include the information on the website of Beverwijk municipality:
"Does Beverwijk have anything to do with beavers?
The idea that Beverwijk (The word 'Beverwijk' literally means 'beaver area') got its name from the fact that many beavers used to live here is perhaps a nice one, but is not very likely. No remains of beavers' bones have ever been found at archaeological excavations. There are many theories about the origins of the name and detailed historical studies are still being carried out. Beverwijk definitely has a connection with the name Agatha. You are forever coming across different versions of that name. In the middle of town you will immediately notice the Aagtendorp housing development, with its unusual design and use of colour. Sint Aagtendijk - an 800-year-old dyke – leads from the town centre to the residential areas Zwaansmeer and Oosterwijk. Between the fields and meadows of the Wijkermeerpolder is the military fort Sint Aagtendijk, part of a circular line of defence that was built in the 19th century to protect Amsterdam. And, of course, the Agathakerk church in the Breestraat, whose dome is a distinct part of the Beverwijk skyline. Aagtendorp, Aagtenhal, Agathakerk, Sint Aagtendijk fort, Sint Aagtendijk - it must be more than coincidence.
A much-supported theory, although not proven, is that a certain St. Agatha can give us an explanation for the name Beverwijk. In the early Middle Ages (1063) there was a church, or perhaps a chapel, in this area called the Agathenkiricha. This church or chapel was named after St. Agatha. Despite the Roman ban on Christianity, a girl called Agatha had stuck to her beliefs and was therefore put to death in the year 281. For this steadfastness the Catholic Church declared her to be a saint. The village around the church was later given her name. After 1250, the Sint Aghetendorpe village also became known as Bedevaartwijk (literally: the pilgrimage area). It appears that the chapel that was built to honour Agatha attracted many pilgrims. Perhaps they came to visit the weekly market which had been held in Beverwijk since 1276, when Count Floris V granted the town the right to hold the market. Beverwijk's favourable location (on a waterway, on the coast and with a direct link to Haarlem) was one of the reasons for its economic growth. The town expanded and grew and was enfranchised (Given the right to be represented in
Parliament) in 1298 by Count Jan I. In 1276 the name Bedevaartwijk had already started to be changed to Beverwijk."
Herman Huipen, 7 Jul 2004
Granted 24 Oct 1936