mostbet
This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Graft-De Rijp (The Netherlands)

Noord Holland province

Last modified: 2003-06-14 by
Keywords: graft | de rijp |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors



See also:

Graft-De Rijp municipality

Number of inhabitants (1 Jan 2003): 6.396; area: 21,76 km². Settlements: De Rijp (seat), Graft, Markenbinnen, Noordeinde, Oost-Graftdijk, Starnmeer, West-Graftdijk
The municipality of Graft-De Rijp was formed on 1 Jun 1970 by the merger of Graft and de Rijp.

Graft-De Rijp CoA

[Graft-De Rijp CoA] image from Ralf Hartemink's site.

Granted 16 Dec 1970. Graft-De Rijp does have a CoA, in which the Rijper herring-fishing and whaling have been depicted. Most remarkable are the silver pennies, which remind of the so-called "zeevarende buidels" (seafaring bags). They were a kind of insurance for sailors, a.o. for ransoms for sailors who had been taken prisoner by privateers.
Source: "Noord-Holland en zijn gemeenten", 1981
Jarig Bakker, 2 Jun 2003


Graft village

[Graft village flag] by Jarig Bakker, 2 Jun 2003, after image from the Graft-De Rijp municipal website.

Here is the flag of Graft village. It is a banner of arms. In Koffie Hag "Nederlandsche Gemeentewapens", 1924, T van der Laars wrote:
"In blue on a loose base a cow in front of a tree, all or.
This CoA originated in the old village seal from the beginning of the 17th century. Graft was a former "Ämbachtsheerlijkheid" (manor) and the largest "banne" (judicial area) of the Schermereiland (island in the former Schermer lake), and was first mentioned in 1216. The first settlers of the Schermereiland were people from the "Geestkant" (Akersloot and Limmen), who were farmers and stock-breeders. Although they intended to stay there temporarily the conditions were so favorable that they stayed there."
Jarig Bakker, 2 Jun 2003


Graft CoA

[Graft CoA] image from the Graft-De Rijp municipal website.

Granted 26 Jun 1816


De Rijp village

[flag of De Rijp village] by Blas Delgado Ortiz, 1 Jan 2003

Graft and De Rijp are both beautiful villages with two beautiful 17th century municipal buildings.
At this webpage is the village flag of De Rijp, a blue field with two yellow herrings, each with a yellow crown. It's a banner of arms of the old municipal arms, referring to the old fishing tradition, including whaling. (more info in Dutch on Ralf Hartemink's site).
Jarig Bakker, 23 Aug 2002

De Rijp village was founded by Grafters, who wanted to profit from the then still open connection with the sea. De Rijp owned, after Enkhuizen, in the 17th century the most herring-houses in Noord-Holland. In c. 1654 whaling began; it was a De Rijper. who was the first harpooner, Marten Michielszoon. In this village was born Jan Leeghwater, one of the most famous Dutch polder-makers. He was a simple miller; from 1608-12 he had 26 mills built, to make the Beemster lake dry. From 1631-35 he used 51 mills to make the Schermer lake dry. In between he built the Council House of De Rijp in renaissance-style (a precious jewel!).
Jarig Bakker, 2 Jun 2003


De Rijp CoA

[De Rijp CoA] image from the Graft-De Rijp municipal website.

Granted 26 Jun 1816


Mostbet