mostbet
This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Odemira Municipality (Portugal)

Last modified: 2005-04-29 by
Keywords: odemira | coat of arms | river mira | canting | trees: 2 | fish: 3 | tower (white) | wheat |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Odemira municipality]
by António Martins, 24 Feb 2000
See also: Other sites:

About the flag

It is a quite typical portuguese municipal flag, with the coat of arms centered on a background quartely (town rank) of yellow and green. The coat of arms is sable, on a fess argent two trees proper, in chief a tower argent with purple windows, between two bundles of wheath, of three ears each, or tied purple, in base on a wavy fess azure fimbriated argent, tree fish of the same naiant dexter. Mural crown argent with four visible towers (town rank), and white scroll reading in black upper case letters "VILA DE ODEMIRA".
António Martins, 24 Feb 2000

The arms are partly canting as they show a river and the syllable "Ode" in this toponym (as in many others in Portugal) comes from arabic "wad", "river" (in Spain it originated current "Guad" forms): Mira river crosses the town and actually drains most of the municipal territory.
António Martins, 24 Feb 2000


Presentation of Odemira

Odemira municipality had 25 670 inhabitants in 1990, and it is divided in 15 communes, covering 1721 km2. It belongs to the Beja District and to the old province of Baixo Alentejo. Trivia: Odemira is the largest municipality in Portugal.
António Martins, 24 Feb 2000

Mostbet