mostbet
This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Gheorgheni (Romania, Harghita)

Oraşul Gheorgheni - Gyergyószentmiklós Város

Last modified: 2001-11-30 by
Keywords: gheorheni | gyergyó | secuiesc | szekely | szentmiklós | romania | harghita | hargita | transylvania |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors




This page is best viewed with ISO:8859-2, aka Latin2, aka Central European fonts

No information is available on flag.



See also:

Other sites

Overview

Gheorgheni (in Hungarian Gyergyószentmiklós) is a town in Harghita (Hargita) County of Romania (Transylvania). The commune contains 5 settlements: Town of Gheorgheni / Gyergyószentmiklós and 4 small villages. The town has got 21.289 inhabitants (18.888 (88,7%) Hungarians, 1992 census). The settlement is one of the historical and traditional centres of the Székely Land (Terra Siculorum)

The name of Gyergyószentmiklós has two parts: Gyergyó - the city is located in the former Gyergyó district of the Székely Land. Szentmiklós means St. Nicolaus. Neighbouring communities are Damuc, Bicaz-Chei, Tulghes / Gyergyótölgyes, Ditrau / Ditró, Lazarea / Szárhegy, Joseni / Gyergyóalfalu, Ciumani / Gyergyócsomafalva, Suseni / Gyergyújfalu communities and Balan / Balánbánya town.

The first mention of the settlement is from 1332 as the larges settlement of Gyergyó district. After the Battle of Mohács (1526) which ended the independent Kingdom of Hungary, Szentmiklós became a part of the Principality of Transylvania (1552-1765) later Grand Duchy of Transylvania (1765-1867). The settlement became a borough in 1607. Armenian refugees settled to the town in 1662. From 1908 the settlement is a town. 1867-1918/1920 part of the Kingdom of Hungary.

In 1910 the settlement was a town in the Csík (in Rumanian Ciuc) County of the Kingdom of Hungary. Inhabitants in 1910: 8.905; 8.549 (96,0%) Hungarian, 155 (1,7%) Rumanian, 115 (1,3%) German and 86 (1,0%) other by mother tongue, 7.889 (88,6%) Roman Catholic (including Armanian Catholics), 438 (4,9%) Greek Catholic, 321 (3,6%) Jew, 193 (2,2%) Calvinist and 64 (0,7%) other by religion. From 1918/1920 (Romanian occupation / Treaty of Trianon) to 1940 (Second Decision in Vienna) part of the Kingdom of Romania. 1940-1944 part of Hungary. The Treaty of Paris reallocated it to Romania. The settlement was a town 1952-1960 in the Hungarian Autonomous Region, 1960-1968 in Mureş Hungarian Autonomous Region and from 1968 is in Harghita County. City from 1996.

István Molnár, 12 Dec 2000


Coat of Arms

[coat of arms] located at http://gheorgheni.ro/ by István Molnár 12 Dec 2000.


Historical flag of Gyulafehérvár (Kingdom of Hungary)

[flag of Gyergyószentmiklós, Csík county, Hungary 1941] by István Molnár, 12 Dec 2000

This flag appears at Dr. Széll Sándor: Városaink neve, címere és lobogója (1941) as "Gyergyószentmiklós, Csík Co.". István Molnár, 12 Dec 2000

Mostbet