This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Ненеция | Neneciâ
Last modified: 2005-04-16 by
Keywords: nenets | competition | law | doubt | narʼyan-mar | narhân-mar | fish: 2 | fish (white) | antler | raindeer |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Pascal Gross, 10 Jan 2004
Presentation of Nenetsia
(Note: You need an Unicode-aware software and font to correctely view the cyrillic text on this page. See here transliteration details).
- Name (english): Nenetsia • (russian, short form): Ненеция | Neneciâ • (russian, long form): Ненецкий автономный округ | Neneckiĭ avtonomnyĭ okrug
- Local official language: Nentsi
- Capital (russian): Нарян-Мар | Narhân-Mar • (english): Naryan-Mar
- Area: 176 700 km2 (≅68 200 sq.mi.) • Population: 45 900 inhabitants in 2000
Status: Autonomous District (автономный округ | avtonomnyĭ okrug) within Arkhangelsk Region
Federal District: Northwestern Region • Economic region: North (northern European Russia) (in the soviet era: Northwest)
- License plate code: 83 • Ham radio code: NO • ISO 3166-2 code: NEN
- Flag adopted on unkn. date • Coat of arms adopted on unkn. date
The Nentsy are a Uralic people, for whom a national area was established in 1929. They form only a small percentage of the population, however. Reports suggest that “sovereignty” for the area was declared in 1990.
Stuart Notholt, 05 Oct 1995
The Nenets live mainly in three different russian administrative subdivisions (Nenetsia, Taymyria and Yamalia), actually named after them. I dont think these (quite arbitrary) administrative borders do coincide with any ethnographic or linguistic subgrouping of the nenets people.
António Martins, 11 Mar 2000
António Martins, 11 Mar 2000
Neneckii~ nacionalhnyi~ okrug, within Northern Region, within RSFSR, within the Soviet Union;
Neneckii~ nacionalhnyi~ okrug, within Arkhangelsk Region, within RSFSR, within the Soviet Union;
Neneckii~ avtonomnyi~ okrug, within Arkhangelsk Region, within RSFSR, within the Soviet Union;
Neneckii~ avtonomnyi~ okrug, within Arkhangelsk Region, within Russia.
Flag competition law
Resolution AboutThe Assembly of Deputies of the Nenets Autonomous District resolves:
The Regulation On The Competition To Create The Symbols
Of The Nenets Autonomous District
(adopted by the Assembly of Deputies of the Nenets Autonomous District, 28 January 1997 #13)
- To adopt the Regulation on the Competition to Create the Designs of the Coat of Arms and Flag of the Nenets Autonomous District.
- To send that Resolution to the head of the administration of the district for official publication and announcement of the competition.
- To propose to the administration of the district together with the Rules Committee of the Assembly of Deputies the creation of a competition commission to evaluate the works submitted in competition.
President of the
Assembly of Deputies of the Nenets Autonomous District
V. A. Viucheiski
Supplement to the Resolution of theIn accordance with the Constitutions of the Russian Federation and of the Nenets Autonomous District the symbols of the district are its coat of arms and flag. The creation of special symbols of the Nenets Autonomous District will be conducted on a competitive basis.
Assembly of Deputies of the Nenets Autonomous District of 28.01.97 #13
Regulation On The Competition To Create The Symbols Of The Nenets Autonomous District
- Firms and individual authors may participate in the competition to create the designs of the coat of arms and flag of the Nenets Autonomous District.
- In the creation of the designs of the coat of arms and flag of the Nenets Autonomous District it is necessary to attend to the rules of classical heraldry, and also to the particular qualities of the district (wealth of natural resources, traditions of the Nenets, Russian, and Komi peoples, the bonds of generations, and the course of the economic, social, and cultural development of the territory).
- Designs of coats of arms and flags shall be executed on separate sheets of paper in A4 format (21 × 30 cm.) in colored and black-and-white variants in horizontal arrangement. Explanatory remarks may be submitted in two copies of no more than two typed pages, giving a description of the idea of the coat of arms (flag), its colors, form, proportions, etc.
- Works in competition shall be presented to the commission without indication of the name of the author, under a code of three numerals which shall be placed in the upper right-hand corner of the sheet bearing the design (height of the numerals one centimeter). To the submitted material shall be attached a printed envelope with the same code, containing information about the author or authors (full name, home address, telephone number). The anonymity of the authors shall be preserved until the adoption by decision of the Assembly of Deputies of the District of the results of the competition.
- A prize fund for the competition to design a coat of arms and flag is established in the amount of 10 million rubles, to be distributed in the following manner:
Consolation prizes of 1 million rubles to the second- and third- place awards in each field.
- for the design of the coat of arms (first prize) - 3.5 million rubles;
- for the design of the flag (first prize) - 2 million rubles;
- Competitive projects for coat of arms and flag must be submitted by their authors no later than 1 May 1997 to the competition commission at the address: Narian-Mar, Smidovich Street #20, District Administration, marked "for competition."
- The competition commission shall determine the best work and recommend it to the District Assembly for adoption as coat of arms and flag of the Nenets Autonomous District. Other works shall receive the consolation prizes presented by the competition commission.
- The first prizes shall be awarded to works adopted by the Assembly of Deputies of the Nenets Autonomous District as the coat of arms and flag of the Nenets Autonomous District. The payment of the awards shall be conducted in the course of a month after the adoption of the symbols.
- The remaining works submitted in competition shall be placed in archives of the district and may be executed with the consent of the authors in the production of lapel pins, memorial signs, etc.
translated by John Ayer, 24 Feb 2000
Please note that the values given are in old roubles: On Jan 1st 1998 the rouble was devalued 1000 fold, being one new rouble equivalent to 1000 old roubles (it was also equivalent to one US dollar — now it is worth four cents...) All this meaning that the first prize was worth approx. 200 USD.
António Martins, 19 Feb 2000
by Rick Wyatt, 02 Apr 1998
For Nenets Flaggenmitteilung 207 [fbn] (May 1996) reports blue - white - blue horizontal with red stripe at hoist.
Jaume Ollé, 27 Feb 2000
This flag is a fiction! I think it is a fantasy of O. Tarnovsky...
Victor Lomantsov, 07 Apr 2000
Narʼyan-Mar city flag
(Narhân-Mar | Нарьян-Мар, a county-status city)
by Pascal Gross, 24 Jan 2002
On the website http://www.aha.ru/~heraldik/flags.htm we can see the flag of the city of Naryan Mar, capital city of Nenetsia.
Pascal Gross, 24 Jan 2002