Last modified: 2002-12-07 by
Keywords: podolinec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
Podolinec (Hungarian: Podolin, German: Pudlein, Polish: Podoliniec) was a German-Slovakian-Hungarian town in Szepes (in Slovakian Spiš, in German Zips) County of Hungary till 1918/1920 (Declaration of Martin).1920-1938 Czechoslovakian, 1939-1945 Slovakian, and 1945-1992 Czechoslovakian. The town has 2908 inhabitants (1990 census). It is located in the valley of the Poprad River near the Polish border. It became a town in 1343 (by King Louis the Great). From 1412 the town was a Free Royal City. The city with other 15 cities and towns had been pledged to King Vladislas, king of Poland by King Sigismund, king of Hungary in 1412 for 37.000 silver groat. 1412-1772 the city was the part of Poland. In 1772 (the year of the division of Poland) the "Sixteen Cities" had returned to Hungary.
István Molnár, 7 Sep 2000