mostbet
This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Presov city, Slovakia

Presov okres, Presov region

Last modified: 2002-11-30 by
Keywords: presov |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors




This page is best viewed with ISO:8859-2, aka Latin2, aka Central European fonts See also:

Prešov flag

Presov flag submitted through Rob Raeside, 27 July 1999

Prešov (Hungarian: Eperjes; German: Eperies or Preschau; Ruthenian Prjašiv has 87.765 inhabitants (0,9% Hungarians, more Ruthenians; 1990 census). In 1910: 16.323 inhabitants (48,9% Hungarian, 39,8% Slovakian, 8,6% German and 1,0% Rumanian). The city was the capital of Sáros (in Slovakian Šaríš) County of Hungary until 1918/1920 (Declaration of Martin). 1920-1938 Czechoslovakian, 1939-1945 Slovakian, and 1945-1992 Czechoslovakian. In 1919 the city was the capital of the Slovakian Soviet Republic for some days. The city lies on the banks of the Torysa (Tarca) River. It was an important site in the Age of the Halstatt Culture. Quads and Gepids lived there too. The city was founded by King Béla II. in 1132. The king gave the name of the city after the strawberries or mulberries (Eperjes or epres means strawberry (fields)) - by the Legend. It is first mentioned in 1233. The city became a free Royal Town in 1324 by King Charles. In 1687 the "Hangman of  Prešov", General Caraffa tormented 300 citizens and their 24 leader were executed. In 1849 the Slovakian Revolt in opposition to the Hungarian Revolution was begun. The leader of the Revolt in Prešov was Hurban. The City is the center of the Ruthenians in Slovakia
István Molnár, 26 Jun 2000


Prešov old flag

[Presov old flag] by Jan Kravcik, 16 June 2000

The old flag of the city - the blue and yellow colours came from the old coat of arms of 1558.
Jan Kravcik, 16 June 2000 


Prešov Coat of Arms

Presov Coat of Arms from http://www.tatrahome.sk/revue/erby/ . (!Link does not work any more!)

Mostbet